Tuesday, September 10, 2013


I'm a day late posting, but I was busy finishing quilts to be sent to flood victims in Calgary!
This is the applique version of my guild's September BOM project.  The applique pieces were placed on a solid black background.  I used some water soluble applique foundation material, which was placed on the back of the coloured fabrics (I held mine with a dab of glue-stick).  After trimming the seam allowance, I used the glue stick to fold and stick the seam allowance to the back of the foundation material.  When I place the pieces on the background (using a light box), I held them in place with a bit more glue.
I used invisible (monofilament) thread and a narrow zig-zag stitch to attach the pieces to the background.  Then I did some stitching with some mylar hologram thread for the details on the pointsettias and the candle flame.
Now I have to trim the top, and layer it (I'll use some black batting that was leftover from a previous project), and I'll machine quilt it, add binding, and it will be ready for October's meeting!


  1. That is such a lovely pattern! Could use for several holidays. Thanks for including the process and thanks for linking to applique Tuesday!


Thank you. Your comments are important to me.