Sunday, July 31, 2016


No Change!
No sewing going on in my world.  Once I finished the quilts for my community quilts group, I decided it was time to tackle my sewing space.  It has become very disorganized over the past few years, and there is lots of craft stuff, and miniature supplies from hobbies that are on the back burner for now.

Lots of sorting, cleaning, re-organizing, seeming to make more mess that I started with.  DH joined me yesterday and we pulled everything out of the old kitchen cabinets that fill one end of my room.  Sorting, tossing, donating, cleaning and labeling kept us busy.  DH sorted all the paints and tossed those that had become solid, and also checked out his collection of glues (I had already done mine).

Today, I'm finishing the laundry, and doing some kitchen chores.  My basil was calling, so I made pesto from my favourite recipe and it is stored in the freezer.  I just pulled some cookie bars from the oven.  I'm trying to stock up in preparation for my visit from DS2 and extended family.  His wife's sister and nephew will be visiting from Russia, and her middle sister is joining them from California.  They will only be with us for a few days, but they are planning on an Ottawa visit, and our grandson will be staying with us for 2 days.  My little townhouse will be packed with 7 adults and our little guy, but we always make room for family.

Next weekend we head back to Kitchener, to help them get their house ready for visitors.  Some furniture needs to be relocated, and a few organization chores that we'll assist with as well.  Hopefully I can get some stitching done soon.  I have placemats to complete for "Meals on Wheels".  Our guild donates some every year, and I made the pieced tops over a year ago.  They just need to be backed and quilted.   Sounds like a simple task to do when we have company, in between cooking, visiting, etc.

Check out others' progress at Judy's blog, Patchwork Times.

Sunday, July 17, 2016


Fabric used this week  7.375 yards
Fabric used year to date  167.5 yards
Fabric added this week  0 yards
Fabric added year to date  33.75 yards
Net used 2016  133.75 yards

I completed my one block wonder this week.  I had fun quilting with black thread on black fabric.  Boy, is it hard to photograph.  I finally lightened up the colour to show the quilting.....   The fabric is really a true black!
Now I just have to decided how and where I'll use this quilt!  The remaining piece of the original fabric is on the back.  When I began laying out the blocks, DH said it was giving him a headache - but now that it is completed, he loves it.

Now my time is being used to machine quilt 4 quilts for my guild's community quilts group.  Someone offered to add the binding, but I don't mind having some evening hand work to do.  I must say that I had to sew the black on black binding on during the day - no matter what combination of lighting I used, it was just too difficult to see in the evening.

Check out all the progress shared at Judy's blog, Patchwork Times.

Monday, July 4, 2016


Now that my community quilt projects are completed, waiting for the next workshop, I finally pulled out the stack of "one block wonder" blocks that were waiting.  I cut and stitched the half blocks while South last winter, but I don't have a big enough design wall to play with the layout.

I spent a couple of hours, arranging and re-arranging the blocks until I was happy with my choice, and yesterday I began stitching them into vertical rows.  Of course, DH took one look at the blocks and asked for his sunglasses!  I love bright, funky "what were they thinking of" prints for stack n whack blocks!

I managed to stitch a few of the rows before we headed out for dinner with friends and a concert in the park.  I began stitching on the darker side of the quilt....

Making stack n whack style quilts always puts a smile on my face.  Now back to stitching!

Check out all the creativity shared at Judy's blog, Patchwork Times , and  Monday Makings at Love Laugh Quilt.

Sunday, July 3, 2016


Fabric used this week  12.125 yards
Fabric used year to date  160.125 yards
Fabric added this week  0 yards
Fabric added year to date 33.75 yards
Net used 2016   126.375 yards

I managed to finish 2 wheelchair quilt tops with binding for my guild's community quilts program, using the remaining strips that I had cut for a previous strippy border.

I also quilted a wheelchair quilt that I brought home to complete after our last workshop day, but none of the fabric was from my stash.

I finally completed another project, that began with orphan half- square triangle units that were leftover from my guild's BOM quilt.  They were stitched into pinwheels, then I used fabric from my scrap bins to add corner squares.  Then more leftovers were used to tilt them left and right.  The only "new" fabric used was the funky striped fabric for sashing strips and the black cornerstones and binding.

Now I have to figure out what I want to work on next, from my huge list of possibilities.  But the decision will be left for another day.  I'm off to enjoy our long weekend - a pool party, then dinner at our friends' home, then off to the first concert in the park - what more could anyone wish for.....

Share the progress with Judy at Patchwork Times....