Sunday, June 26, 2016


Fabric used this week  7.625 yards
Fabric used year to date 148 yards
Fabric added this week 0 yards
Fabric added year to date 33.75 yards
Net used 2016   114.25 yards 

My "used fabric" was from the "Out of the Box" quilt tops and binding that I completed for my community quilts group.

I was left with lots of 2 inch and 1 1/2 inch strips - leftover from the strippy border, so I decided to use them rather than put them back into the bin. I have two large blocks pieced that will become the centres of wheelchair quilts.  Now I have to get back to work, adding borders.

Check out all the progress shared at Judy's blog, Patchwork Times.

Thursday, June 23, 2016


During the past year, the volunteers who meet once a month to work on my guild's community quilt projects, spent time to sort all the donated orphan blocks and pre-made parts.  Each group of similar size and or shape were placed in a raspberry box.  (These boxes were salvaged from a local supermarket, and are cardboard, built to stack while holding quarts or pints of raspberries).

At our last get-together, our fearless leader asked if everyone would take a box home and figure out how to use the contents for a quilt.

My first box held 60 9-patch blocks that were 3 1/2 inches, and I made this quilt top.

I wrote about it on Design Wall Monday.  I had difficulty getting the true colours to show in the pictures.  The light borders are really a darker beige, the blue-ish border is much darker, and the final border is a deeper rust colour.

 Box number 2 held 29 pinwheel blocks that had been squared up to 8.25 inches.  I made one more block, then set them with sashing and cornerstones.
I decided to make a strippy border, so I sorted through my 1.5 and 2 inch strip bins and pulled all the strips that had colours found in the blocks.

I made binding for each quilt top, but don't have fabric for backing.  I'll take them to our next community quilts workshop, and hopefully I'll find backing fabric for each of them, then after pin-basting both, I'll bring them home to machine quilt.  This is a win-win - I get to use some of my fabric scraps, and there are 2 less boxes full of parts waiting to be used, and soon 2 more quilts ready to donate.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016


Here I am, posting late again, but better late than never!  First a picture of my guild's BOM project for 2015-16.  I finished mine a while back, but finally got around to taking some pictures!
The final border is from Judy's book, "60 Pieced Quilt Borders"
Here are some close-ups of some of the quilting in blocks...

Several of the quilting fills were inspired by the free tutorials at The Inbox Jaunt.
At my last get-together with our community quilts group, the coordinator asked people to take a box of quilt blocks, and make them into a quilt.

The first box I picked up had 60 small 9-patch blocks, made from gold, rust, tan and brown fabrics.

I began by adding triangles in tans and rust to make the blocks larger.  Then sashing and cornerstones.  The centre used 48 of the 60 blocks, so I used the remaining blocks as corners in one border and corners and centres in the final border.  I have the binding made, and it will head to the next community quilts get-together to find a backing and get pin-basted, ready for quilting.

Check out all the creativity shared at Judy's blog, Patchwork Times.

Monday, June 6, 2016


Fabric used this week  15.875 yards
Fabric used year to date  140.375 yards
Fabric added this week  0 yards
Fabric added year to date   33.75 yards
Net used 2016  106.625 yards

I finished my BOM  for my guild group!  (Pictures to come later....) It went into the washing machine for a cold water rinse and spin, and is hanging to dry.  I had used a blue wash-away marker in one of the blocks, and wanted to make sure it was completely gone!

I had a busy week, with my guild's annual spring dinner on Wednesday.  The executive members do the catering, with two of our social committees providing dessert.  We had the ArtWear group from Ottawa visiting, and they provided us with a wonderful fashion show!  It was a great way to finish our quilting season.

Today we are waiting for the gas company to show up to change our meter.  We've had problems with readings for the past two winters, so it was past time for a replacement.  Of course we have a window between 8am and noon!

Check out all the progress shared at Judy's blog, Patchwork Times.