Thursday, February 8, 2018


I've been busy during the past two days, cutting and sewing squares and half square triangles.  I've been using Bonnie Hunter's Essential Triangle Tool.

These are the ones I cut and stitched this morning.  We left early to go to lunch with our good neighbour, Roy.

These are all the coloured squares needed for the pieced border, and some of the half square triangle units that I made yesterday.  I had to stop, as I have to cut more neutral 2 1/2 inch strips so I can continue.

Our weather has turned from cold to hot and humid, with few dry days in between.  We're having showers that just started, so my room will be too noisy to think.  I'll press all the stitched blocks later today, and see how many more I need to make.
I ordered backing fabrics for this quilt and another that is also part-way complete, so I'll serge the cut ends, and get them washed, so I'll be ready to pin-baste soon!
My Wednesday quilting group is cancelled for next week - the clubhouse is in use for a Valentines Day renewing of vows for members of our community, so I'll have an extra full day to sew.

Sunday, February 4, 2018


Fabric used this week  1.75 yards
Fabric used year to date  1.75 yards
Fabric added this week  5 yards
Fabric added year to date  33.625 yards
Net used 2018  -31.875 yards

I'm still in the red, but at least I have a finish!
I had fun with these blocks, but decided that I wanted to get back to other projects, so I stopped at 3, and made a runner.

I got back to work on one project.   I had made both the blocks and the alternate blocks but had to make the pieced setting triangles.  When I checked my instructions, I found that all the edges would be on the bias, so I used EQ8 to draw the block, then I divided it in half, and printed out templates for the unusual shapes, then I divided it into 4 pieces, so I could get templates for the corner triangles as well.  I spent yesterday piecing the side and corner triangles, then used the living-room carpet to lay the blocks out, then pick them up in rows for sewing.  This morning I managed to sew the rows in one direction, and then pin them in the opposite way, but it began raining, and since my sewing room is a sunroom under the carport, the rain hitting the aluminum roof was just too loud, so I came inside and reconciled my back accounts - a job I always put off!
I also received the final instructions for the borders for my guild's scrappy BOM quilt, so when I get the first one done, I'll begin stitching the borders (all pieced!) 
I'm linking up with quiltpaintcreate today to share my stash report.