During the past year, the volunteers who meet once a month to work on my guild's community quilt projects, spent time to sort all the donated orphan blocks and pre-made parts. Each group of similar size and or shape were placed in a raspberry box. (These boxes were salvaged from a local supermarket, and are cardboard, built to stack while holding quarts or pints of raspberries).
At our last get-together, our fearless leader asked if everyone would take a box home and figure out how to use the contents for a quilt.
My first box held 60 9-patch blocks that were 3 1/2 inches, and I made this quilt top.
I wrote about it on Design Wall Monday. I had difficulty getting the true colours to show in the pictures. The light borders are really a darker beige, the blue-ish border is much darker, and the final border is a deeper rust colour.
Box number 2 held 29 pinwheel blocks that had been squared up to 8.25 inches. I made one more block, then set them with sashing and cornerstones.
I decided to make a strippy border, so I sorted through my 1.5 and 2 inch strip bins and pulled all the strips that had colours found in the blocks.
I made binding for each quilt top, but don't have fabric for backing. I'll take them to our next community quilts workshop, and hopefully I'll find backing fabric for each of them, then after pin-basting both, I'll bring them home to machine quilt. This is a win-win - I get to use some of my fabric scraps, and there are 2 less boxes full of parts waiting to be used, and soon 2 more quilts ready to donate.