Monday, February 17, 2014

DESIGN WALL MONDAY

This wall hanging is about 40 inches square.  The tea pot blocks had been in my stash for a long time, but I think what stopped me from using them, was that there were only 8.  I decided to make a paper pieced block to round it out to 9, and found this one in my stash of patterns.  The original block was a mystery project from Paper Panache.  It was shared in time for Mother's Day a while back, and has a heart theme (handles, cup and tea pot lid).  There were also hearts on the pot, but I decided to make it all in print fabric instead.  I also used the same print for the binding.  Now I have to find a home for it!
Some things are difficult to photograph, and I find that embroidered blocks, especially those with lots of metallic thread are among the hardest for an amateur to do well......
All of the angel embroideries in this quilt were made with 3 shades of metallic thread, excluding their hair, skin and some small details.  The pot in the bottom right hand corner block is made of silver thread, and hardly shows at all. 

In person, this is a great quilt!  I decided to stop after the first border, but did add a narrow yellow accent strip to the edge before adding the binding.


Here's the star of the show!
 I just love the expressions on the sheep!  This is what attracted me to this project at first.







This project was designed by Natashia Curtin of Smee Designs and is found in the July 2012 edition of Australian Homespun magazine, available as an e-edition at Zinio.com


The designer's humour shows in every block.  My only complaint is that I was having such fun stitching the blocks, I was sad when I completed the last one!

Check out Judy's blog, Patchwork Times, to see all the shared creativity this week!

3 comments:

  1. Susan - this project was designed by Natashia Curtin of Smee Designs, not Christine Bates.

    Megan Fisher
    Technical Editor
    Homespun magazine

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful, Susan. I can't wait to see it for real, in the frozen north!
    Susan Clarke

    ReplyDelete

Thank you. Your comments are important to me.