The nine-patches for the border were made from my "leader and ender" squares, stitched while making other quilts this winter. I added triangle corners to each, using 2 alternating prints - the light wouldn't have been my first choice, but I have very little stash in my southern location. Sorry for the poor perspective on the photo - I placed it on my driveway, and that was the best I could do to capture the whole quilt top.
My finish for this week is a small wall hanging that will eventually be given to my SDIL2. I plan to show it in my guild's next show in 2015, but I will let her see it when we return north.
Dragonflies are her favourite, and my son found a wonderful picture of one, that he printed poster size so I could use it for a pattern. It took me a while to figure out how to transfer the pattern to the dark fabric. My first thought was to use golden tracing paper, but since the wings are thread-painted with metallic thread, I was dreading the chore of removing all the bits of paper. When having a tidy session in my sewing room, I found an old package of water soluble stabilizer. I used a hot pink Frixion pen to draw all the tiny lines, then pinned the stabilizer in place over the appliqued body. I stitched the wings with Superior's gold thread.
Visit Judy at Patchwork Times to see all the creativity this week!