I thought I was finished making hexagons, but after I appliqued the quilt to the plain border, I decided it needed to be a bit larger to fit our bed comfortably. I thought about adding a pieced border, but didn't think it would add to the overall design.
My final decision was to make a second plain border, using fabric similar to the final background hexagons used in the quilt top, and then add two alternating hexagon motifs , appliqued to the final border, to finish the quilt.
So now I am back making 42 flower motifs, and 42 lozenge motifs. I had been complaining to DH that I didn't have any hand stitching to do while watching the Olympics, so now that problem has been solved.