Monday, June 9, 2014

DESIGN WALL MONDAY

In mid-May, Lori Kennedy of The Inbox Jaunt, shared a paper piecing pattern.  Peggy Riemer had used one of Lori's wonderful photographs, and turned it into a paper piecing pattern to share.  The most intriguing thing, was that it was designed in hexagons!
I downloaded the pattern, and knew that I'd have to try this project right away.
I printed all the pages, cut out the hexagon units (some needed to be glued together, and pinned them on my design wall.
I am following the piecing sequence page carefully, and I decided to stitch all the hexagons together by machine.  Of course, I had to add each one as it is completed, and I've been removing the papers once each section is fully surrounded.
The biggest challenge was to choose fabrics.  I used the photo for colour cues, but since I have more "prints" than solids, hand-dyes or batiks in my stash, I'm anxious to see how it will look when it is finished.
This is a closer look at the back so far.  I realized very quickly, that I can't work on this at the end of the day - it needs lots of concentration to assure that the correct fabric is placed in each location, and to do the precision piecing required to sew the hexagons accurately by machine.  Good thing I love a challenge.   I decided that I won't share the front side until it is completed - right now it looks like coloured blotches!

Check out all the creativity shared at Judy's blog, Patchwork Times.






5 comments:

  1. Very interesting! I've gotta follow along... see what develops. Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing. I take it when there are lines over the hex that means you are piecing some fabric there. Yikes. I bet it takes concentration..

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous! So excited to see this in fabric! Mind if I link to your post?
    Lori Kenndy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this on Lori's blog, Susan, and can't wait to see your finished top! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this on Lori's blog also. How fascinating!! Congrats on taking on a well-worth-it challenge :)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Thank you. Your comments are important to me.