Thursday, April 17, 2014


I updated my 2014 quilts page today, as well as adding 2 items to the "Other Items" page.  I still don't have pictures of some of the larger quilts, but hopefully I will by next week!

I spent the past couple of days completing the quilting and bindings on 2 quilts that travelled north with pins - I just ran out of time to complete them.

 Cherry Pie Friends was made to finally use a collection of Mary Englebreit fabrics that had lived in my stash too long.

I used the "unstuffed piped binding" on this quilt.  It was machine stitched to the back first, then turned and stitched in the ditch between the main and accent colour, using invisible (monofilament) thread.
 I really like the tiny accent this adds to the binding, especially when it is matched to the final border.  I missed hand stitching the binding though - it almost felt like cheating!

 I also completed the quilting on another Boxy Stars quilt - pattern from (Bonnie Hunter).  A couple of these blocks were leftovers from a group project that my southern quilt group worked on a year or so ago.  The 9-patch blocks that I used in the border, were made from my "leaders and enders" - also a Bonnie Hunter idea.
 One of the most difficult tasks I find, is how to quilt each quilt.  Since I hand-guide my quilts, and don't use a quilting frame, I can't do a pantograph style of quilting easily.  I also used an odd colour of thread - variegated between a medium purple to a gray-green.  I find it useful on many quilts!

 The 9-patch flower quilting is a "go to" design that I've used frequently.

These 2 along with a few others, will be donated to the community quilts group for my guild.  The group donates many quilts in our local community - wherever there is a need.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you. Your comments are important to me.