Friday, January 4, 2013

FABRIC SURPRISE

During the winter, DH and I live in a "senior's community".  As with all aging groups of people, every year we find a few neighbours who are unable to head south for various reasons.

Yesterday I received a phone call from a person who was cleaning out her sister's home.  Her sister was an avid quilter, and she had found 5 huge bags of "scraps".  She called the office to see if anyone was running a quilting or craft groups, and my name and number was provided.

Yesterday afternoon she arrived at my home, and I helped her to unload all the bags.  I spent the rest of the afternoon beginning to sort through all the stuff.

There was everything from large pieces of fabrics, tons of cut strips, some partially piece blocks, etc.  There were also pieces that are not usable for quilting, so I sorted those into another bag.

Today I'll continue to sort, making bundles of "like" fabrics.  She obviously liked to stack many fabrics and cut them at the same time, so I've found various piles of chunks with the same selection throughout the piles.

Since I don't want to keep all this fabric, I'll take it to my quilting group next Wednesday and encourage some of the others to help themselves.  We have a few beginners this year, and this would be a good way to get some stash started, and provide some fabric to try new techniques!

I'm so thankful that she took the time to find a group who would love to use her sister's leftover fabric treasures.  (Other family members were ready to put it all the the trash).

I have left instructions in my will for the disposal of my fabric, books, machines, etc.  I have even left contact numbers, which I update each year.  I suggest that all quilters let their families know that their stash is valuable, and that it needs to move on to someone or some group that can make it into something useful and not end up in the landfill!      

1 comment:

  1. That was so nice that this lady did not just put those bags in the trash. I've not really thought much about leaving directions for the distribution of my ever growing stash and library of quilt books. My daughter neither sews nor quilts. How did you set this up in your will? I'm not part of any guild, so I really wouldn't know where to start?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you. Your comments are important to me.