Tuesday, January 8, 2013

DONATED FABRIC SCRAPS

I've spent 2 solid days sorting through the bags of scrap fabric that were given to me for my quilting group.
I had piles of fabric on every surface in my sewing room, and spent almost a whole day at the ironing board!  Since the fabric had been stuffed into various plastic bags, most of it was so wrinkled that you couldn't even see what it looked like!
  It is amazing how little room all the fabric takes up, after it is pressed, folded and organized, but boy, is it heavy!  I know from experience that a container stuffed with scraps will rarely get used.  I may be a bit anal, but I like things organized.  I have containers with 1 1/2 inch and 2 inch strips - and that is where I go when looking for pieces to add to my scrappy quilts.
I managed to sort all the donated fabric into several groups - solids, pieces 1 yard or more, half yards WOF, fat quarters, strips 2 in, 2 1/2 in, 3 in, 3 1/2 in, 4 in,  odd-shaped pieces bundled together by theme.  There are even a set of 3-patch strips obviously destined to become 9-patch blocks.
I ended up with a large bag headed to the garbage, as some of the fabric had been stored outside in less than ideal conditions, and was damp, mildew stained etc.  There were also many ruined pieces that were horribly miss-cut or mangled.  Some I think had been destined for the garbage, so that's where they are going.
I'm hoping the group has fun tomorrow, doing some "shopping".  I just received an email from one of the group who has been delayed in her trip south, asking me to save any leftovers for her......  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you. Your comments are important to me.