I finished the tote bag, made from the section removed from the quilt. I was fortunate to find some of the dark green fabric - just enough to make the handles.
I fused a double layer of "Peltex" to make a firm bottom, and covered it with a pink print. I slip-stitched the ends inside the bag. I decided that it would be too tall with all the "borders" exposed, so I decided to turn the large pink border inside, to form a facing. I machine stitched the edge, then slip-stitched it to the inside of the bag. The handles were top-stitched, with lots of reinforcing to hold them secure.
I still had 12 blocks remaining in a long strip, 2 blocks wide. I decided to take it apart to make the centre of a baby quilt.
(Sorry for the slightly blurry picture!) I covered the seam in the back with a folded strip of the fabric planned for a border, and stitched it down by hand, after inserting a small piece of batting. The batting will be held in place when I re-quilt in the ditch, as well as along some of the shapes. I had to remove some stitching so that I had access to the seam allowance to sew it together.
I found this pink and brown print in my stash, along with a green that had the right tones for the quilt. I plan to use the same green for binding. Now I have to add backing and batting the perimeter of the quilt - a little tricky, but not impossible!