This is the second set of 4 blocks. I decided to use this set for the runner.
I had to make half hexagons, using 2 light and one dark triangle for the placemat blocks. Half had the dark triangle on the left and half on the right. I then had to add a "half-triangle" piece to form the square corners. To fill in the sides, I stitched two "half-triangle pieces together to make a fill-in piece.
Here is the first stitched block. I don't usually use many pins, but I used them to attempt to match the seams when stitching these blocks. Now I have to figure out what and how many borders I want to add to make each placemat.
I was surprised at how much I managed to finish, as I finally caught DH's cold, and have been working in a fog all day. I tried to have a nap, but my eyes wouldn't close, so back to some more sewing. DH is feeling better, so he's making dinner tonight.