Thursday, May 6, 2010

My latest scrap quilt

This one began due to my frugal nature.  Over the years, I have bought many printed panels to make cloth books, aprons, wall hangings etc.  When I was cutting one out, I looked at all the fabric that was printed with instructions, which cost the same as the printed area.  I decided that it would be wasteful to put all that "good" fabric into the garbage bin, so I cut it all up into 2 inch squares.  I began stitching these to a "dark" square from my bin, as a "leader and ender".  After I had stitched lots of these, I then made them into 4patch blocks.  
Sewing with "leaders and enders" over the past few years has made me think of creative ways to use the finish products.
I stitched more light and dark 2 inch squares into half square triangles by sewing from one corner to the other, then trimming the seam allowance to 1/4 inch.  These were then stitched together into a "flying geese" arrangement.  These were placed around the central 4patch blocks, with cream or white corner squares to make the  6 inch finished blocks.
I made 36 blocks, then decided I had had enough fun!


  1. I love the idea of using the instructions. The writing looks so neat in the squares.

  2. Oh, clever use of the instructions! I like the blocks!


Thank you. Your comments are important to me.