Friday, January 31, 2020

WORKS IN PROGRESS

I've been busy stitching, but since I've been working on several projects at the same time, I don't see the progress.


I started making the hourglass blocks for the next border on my granddaughter's Hallowe'en quilt, with many more needed.

I'll have to get my rotary cutter working overtime, as I need lots of these blocks!

The manager of our community in the south is off on maternity leave.  My quilt group suggested making a baby quilt for the new arrival.    I sat down with Electric Quilt 8, and designed a quick rail fence quilt, with 2 borders.  I picked up most of the fabric required, and took 16 x 2.5 inch strips of fabric, and asked people to complete 1 or 2 blocks.  By the end of our session, all the strips had disappeared, and this week 16 blocks arrived!  We placed the blocks on a table, and tried different placements, and once everyone was happy, I stacked the vertical rows, ready for sewing.  My next job is cutting the borders and binding, and will get volunteers to add them to the top next week.  One of the members will be providing batting, so hopefully we'll get the quilt pin-basted, and maybe even start on the the quilting.

I received a request to work on a table runner that the group had shared in 2007.   Since we have many new members, I sent out the fabric requirements, and then dug into my stash to make some "stitch out" samples.  Everyone had fun making this quilt as you go, reversible runner, using Sharon Pederson's "Salted Peanut Table Runner" from her book, More Reversible Quilts.


This is side A, with spring-like colours, using my scrap strips.
This is side B, which looks more like autumn to me.  I do like brighter colours!
 A bit of a close-up.  When the strips are sewn on Side A, it quilts Side B.  I decided to try not to repeat any of the fabrics in my strips, as I like lots of variety!twp
The first time I made a runner from this pattern, I found a fabric that would go with both sides for sashing and binding, but with this quilt, I made the two colour binding, using the instructions in the book, and I'm just going to sit and start hand stitching the binding, so I'll have it finished to show the group next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you. Your comments are important to me.