Wednesday, October 9, 2019

MY FINAL FINISH BEFORE OUR TRIP

Last winter, a quilting friend gave me all of her scraps.  There was lots of flannel in various shades and prints, so I began making mini rail fence blocks.  

I pulled the project bag out on the weekend, and decided to finish the quilt.  I have a large collection of small cuts of flannel, saved from the backings of the kids' and baby quilts that I make, so I started cutting strips, and paired them light to dark.  After stitching and pressing the pieces, they were cut into 4 square units, 3.5 inches square, and stitched into blocks.  I mixed the two collections of blocks and discovered that I needed to make 2 more blocks to complete the quilt centre.  I found a larger piece of white flannel, with colourful printed letters for borders, and soon the top was complete.

I pieced the backing as well, to use all the odd pieces of flannel looking for a home.  I used a striped cotton for the binding, and had it completed to take to my guild's Community Quilts sew day this morning.

Including this quilt, I have used 94.5 yards of fabric this year, and only added 68.5 yards (mostly gifts).  My net used fabric for 2019 is      26 yards!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you. Your comments are important to me.