Every once in a while, I want to do something other than quilt! (I know, this sounds insane, as I love quilting!) I was looking for some hand work to do while keeping DH company in the evenings, and I thought about the small stash of seed beads that I had collected in the early 70's!
I found a pattern for a beaded pen in a magazine, and decided that I could try to decorate some wooden needle cases that I had in a drawer.
The first one was done with a bag of assorted colour seed beads. I only had one type of beading thread, and it was almost impossible to thread through the eye of the beading needle, but I persevered. When I had it finished, I painted it with clear nail polish to give it shine and glue it to the wood. I decided to leave the top plain for better gripping when removing.
The second attempt used two colours of beads, and my stitching became more regular. I decided not to bead the bottom, in case I wanted the needle case to stand on its end.
My final attempt used a variety of beads, but now that I understood how the beading lined up, I was able to form a design of sorts. I decided to make a base for this one too, but I think I should have used matching beads!
The beads were stitched using a Peyote stitch - I think!