Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Finished the dragonfly wall hanging

This was a great kit by WHIMS, that included the pre-cut squares, fabric for the appliques and 2 dragonflies made from angelina fibres.  I used the fusible grid to line up the squares, then it was just a matter of sewing along the rows.  it does make it a bit stiff, but since is is a wall hanging, I don't think it matters.  I used leftover strips from my bins to make the borders and the binding, and even the backing fabric was a cut-off from the backing of another quilt!
 The dragonflies are dimensional.
 I stitched the waterlily and the rushes before layering and quilting.  I used monofilament (invisible) thread to outline the shapes and to do a large meandering in the "sky" area of the wall hanging, as well as to SITD (stitch in the ditch) of the narrow borders.   I stitched some ripples in the "water" area using a mylar type thread - a bit fussy through the fusible, but I persevered.  I just have to label the back before I send it to my son as a gift for his girlfriend.

1 comment:

Thank you. Your comments are important to me.