Sunday, December 22, 2019

I CAN'T BELIEVE ANOTHER MONTH HAS PASSSED!

We've been having fun!  DH and his friends have been busy bringing Christmas cheer to local nursing homes, rehab centers and senior residences, playing music, telling jokes and having fun interacting with the residents.
In our community, we've had a Christmas sing-a-long, and decorated golf cart parade, food and toy drives for the local community, and we have caroling planned for Sunday evening, with 22 homes to visit, to let our neighbors know that we are thinking about them too. 
My southern quilting group has been busy, with large and small finishes being shared each week.  We had a great potluck lunch last week - everyone brought delicious treats to share.
Along with our friends, we have had several visits to various parks at Disney World, enjoying the holiday entertainment, especially the annual Candlelight Processional - always wonderful!
Lately, holiday baking has been taking center stage.  I made 4 loaves of cinnamon raisin fruit bread - 2 were delivered to neighbors, baked chocolate mint cookies, ginger cookies, marizpan bars ( my Mother-in-law's recipe), peanut butter oatmeal cookies, I have pastry made for mincemeat tarts, and I'm baking a large batch of dinner rolls.
Now on to the important information - Quilting!
I have been staying up to date on the CQA's 52 blocks in 52 weeks, and of course I've been playing with different layouts for the future quilt.  
A person in my quilt group was giving away unfinished projects that she has lost interest in finishing.  I saw a cute pattern to make small table mats, so I used her already cut pieces, re-cutting to make the outer ring, and finished these 2 small projects, and gave one to the donor of the fabric!

I pulled out a panel that has been waiting a very long time in my stash.  I found some coordinating fabric prints, then headed to Electric Quilt 8, to play with various ideas for setting the panel.  I decided on hourglass blocks in bold colours to surround the panel, then 2 borders and scrappy binding.   I  pin-basted and machine quilted, using a variegated thread.  I enjoyed sitting and hand stitching the binding to the back while watching a Christmas move with DH.  This will be donated through my guild's community quilts program in the spring.

I have also been working on my Jewel Box Stars quilt, as part of the Quiltville leader and ender challenge for this year.  I cut block kits from my scraps and strips during the summer and fall, sewing the pieces into block quarters while working on various other projects.  When I finished the top, DH, my pin basting assistant on larger projects, prepared the quilt for machine quilting.  So far, I have completed the SITD, to stabilize the quilt top, and I am about 1/3 quilted with a green twist thread in the 4 patch areas.  I plan to complete the quilt before the end of the year so I can count the yardage in my annual stash report statistics!
Now back to baking dinner rolls, and the final batch of Christmas cookies!  Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season with family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you. Your comments are important to me.