Tuesday, April 23, 2013


I put the final quilting stitches in one of the quilts that travelled north, pin-basted.

The pattern was from a Quiltmaker magazine at least 2 or 3 years old.  Two years ago, I made a kit from my stash but ran out of time to make it.  It finally arrived at the finished mark this winter. 

I found the technique for some of the units to be easy, but very wasteful, so if I made this pattern again, I'd find alternate methods.

I inherited some stencils a couple of years ago.  This one was too large for the block, but I just omitted the last feather on four of the swirl arms, and it fit just fine.  I stitched it in a variegated rose thread on the yellow blocks, and a variegated gold thread on the dark green ones.
 The border quilting is difficult to see, but there is a rose in each corner, and zig-zag leaves in the centre of each long border.

I made a pieced back for this quilt, using leftover fabrics, and managed to add 14.75 yards of fabric to my "used from stash" report for next Sunday! 


  1. Beautiful, Susan! I really like those feathers (of course ).

  2. Yay for finished UFOs!! Nice adaptation of the stencil, too. :D

  3. I'm proud of you for using up so much stash for this quilt. I love to piece my backs from leftovers and additional stash fabrics too. It makes the numbers look good! lol.
    Beautiful quilting too.


Thank you. Your comments are important to me.