Monday, May 21, 2012


While helping my friend make sun hats last week, she showed me a pattern and ruler that she had on loan.  Thought I'd give it a quick try.
 This was made from instructions for the X-block ruler.  I made 9-patch blocks, then cut them to form the angled block.  I made 10 blocks from the first set of strips, then decided to make another set of 10 and cut them in a mirrored fashion.  As you can see, I haven't sewn them together  yet!  The triangle units on the right were made by sewing the cut-off portions together.  I still haven't figured out the border yet.....

This fabric was the one disappointment in internet shopping - the colours were not true on the site.  I've been hanging onto it for several years, but finally decided to use it or lose it, and I hate to throw anything away.  I'm trying to decide if I want to add another colour into the mix - either green or medium blue.  Time will tell!

Check out what other creative quilters are working on at Judy's blog.


  1. Those are cool! I just read an old Quilter's World that featured those blocks. It's the April, 2008 issue. Had some really neat borders from the leftovers. Thanks for sharing!

  2. I really like the blocks and your fabric is awesome!! What a great idea for the border.

  3. Those are so awesome, love the pattern and those bright fabrics...

  4. I'm a big fan of X-Block quilts and love yours! So colorful! A little extra green might just be wonderful!

  5. I love the design it's making!! And the border blocks look cool!!


Thank you. Your comments are important to me.