Monday, September 20, 2010

Design Wall Monday

I finally got back to work on this miniature feathered star.  Last fall, I was looking through some old Miniature Quilts magazines, and rediscovered this project.  At some time I had drawn all the foundation pieces and tucked them into the magazine.  Of course, I didn't start it until we were doing the final packing to return north for the summer, so it got tucked away in a bag with fabric, magazine and paper piecing tools.  There are four of these blocks in the quilt, and according to the pattern, they finish 4 1/8"!  I think I am insane......
Check out what others are working on at Judy's blog.
Someone asked me if I quilt on a long-arm machine.  No room at the inn, plus spending life in two different locations would make this impossible.  For my piecing, thread painting, machine applique, I use my Pfaff 2048.
 For machine quilting I use my Juki.  Right now it is sitting on my old sewing table.  

DH made me a sewing table so that it can sit flush to the table surface.  When I got my new Pfaff, I found out that it was a bit taller, so we used the quilting extension table to provide a level working surface.  I sewed for many years with my machine on a table, and suffered many headaches and neck and back pain from the hours that I stitched.  My machine quilting has improved dramatically since DH made my new table.  When we are at our winter place, I use an old plywood banquet table, so DH cut a hole in it and made a box to attach underneath to hold my machine.  The table no longer folds, but it works beautifully.

4 comments:

  1. I love your feathered star. I have to admit you are braver than I!! I could never keep those perfect points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my -- I love your itty bitty feathered star. Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you. Your comments are important to me.