As almost always, I began quilting with straight lines. I decided to stitch through all the scrappy squares first. Then I continued on, to stitch-in-the-ditch around the plain border; then I added the binding, so that I wouldn't have to deal with the raw edges of the quilt. I always used to leave the binding until the end, but prefer this method instead.
While tidying up my sewing room, I found some quilting designs, prepared on "golden" tissue paper, that were the perfect fit for my alternate blocks! I had to make a few more before stitching the pattern. The original pattern was from a Quilters' Newsletter free download in 2003 - amazing what you find tucked into corners in your sewing room!
Then I decided to stitch loopy fans in the background areas of both the white and purple edges of my scrappy border.
I finished off with a couple of swirls in the 4-patch in each corner.
This quilt was machine quilted, using a Juki, and hand guiding without a frame or stitch regulator.