Tuesday, February 5, 2019

WEEKEND FUN

I spent some time over the weekend piecing batting.  I had used parts of 3 queen batts over the past couple of months, and decided to make some "Franken-batts".  I needed one for my second mystery quilt, as I had pieced the backing fabric, and pressed the backing and the quilt top, using a bit of spray starch, ready for pin basting.
First, I used all the smaller pieces of batting to make one the correct size for a panel quilt that I had planned to finish for donation.  I managed to pin baste the quilt top on my cutting table, and I began with all the "stitch in the ditch" quilting on Sunday.
Monday, I completed all the quilting, and added the binding, trimming the back and batting to make sure that my binding will be full to the edge.
Next, I pieced two larger pieces of batting to make one the correct size for my mystery quilt.  I took some time this afternoon to watch an episode of "Vera", a British police investigation series, while I hand stitched the binding on the panel quilt.

Tomorrow is my weekly quilting group, so I have to get my bags packed ready to go!  We are having a pillowcase sewing day in 2 weeks, and I have some samples of the finished products, along with some step-out samples to show everyone.  I posted in our community newsletter, looking for volunteers, those that can sew, and some to just pin, press, fold etc., and we try to show them what to expect before the actual date.  I'm sure we'll have fun, and Cases for Smiles will appreciate the finished pillowcases to give to children in area hospitals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you. Your comments are important to me.