When we arrived south this fall, I was approached by a new member of my quilting group to make a quilt for a neighbour who has cancer. She purchased a panel, and the backing double-wide flannel, but had to return north. I asked the group for help, requesting a few 12 inch finished quilt blocks, and got busy designing a quick pattern for the quilt.
Tuesday night, I received the final 2 blocks, and managed to complete the top. At our regular Wednesday quilting group, I had help to pin-baste the quilt. Thursday, I completed the quilting, and machine stitched the binding to the quilt. I sat, watching TV with DH, and managed to stitch down all the binding but about 24 inches before we headed to bed.
This morning I completed the binding, and took a picture of the quilt, then presented it to our neighbour, who was very surprised!
He said that he has been feeling cold all the time, while going through chemo, so I told him that we call our quilts "hugs", to wrap him in affection and kindness while he was fighting the disease. I included a "colour catcher" for the quilt's first wash, as I had pre-washed all the fabric before assembly, but I'm not sure about the blocks that others completed.