Today was our weekly quilting get-together. 15 busy quilters met at our clubhouse for 4 hours of sewing, visiting, sharing, etc. A few people dropped in for a quick visit, and to see what we are working on this week.
Several were piecing their row quilt parts - lots of little pieces. Several were working on their own choice of projects. A wool applique project was cut out and prepared for blanket stitching, and some hexagons were being hand stitched together. I brand new quilter cut the pieces for her first quilt, and another cut pieces for a baby size quilt that she wants to try to machine quilt herself!
We also had a visitor drop in to ask about our pillowcase sewing day, scheduled for March - she saw the information in our monthly newsletter. Last year, my group completed 201 pillowcases in 4 hours, and we hope to do as well this year! The Cases for Smiles coordinator will be attending, so we are looking for lots of volunteers.
I had another finish this week. I was inspired by Bonnie Hunter's "spoolin' around challenge" from a couple of years ago, and I made 192 spools, using 1 1/2 inch strips from my scrap bin! I decided to make them into blocks, and used more 1 1/2 inch strips for sashings and cornerstones.
The two gold borders were made from cut-off backing fabric from a quilt I completed in the fall. The middle borders were more 1 1/2 inch strips, joined together and cut to length. The binding is also scrappy, with leftover 2 1/2 inch strips stitched together. I kept the quilting simple, stitching in the ditch around the blocks and the spools, as the quilt was busy already. I was able to use just over 8 yards of scraps to make this top!