Wednesday, February 1, 2017

A BUSY DAY WITH MY QUILTING GROUP

Today was our weekly quilting get-together.  15 busy quilters met at our clubhouse for 4 hours of sewing, visiting, sharing, etc.   A few people dropped in for a quick visit, and to see what we are working on this week.

Several were piecing their row quilt parts - lots of little pieces.  Several were working on their own choice of projects.  A wool applique project was cut out and prepared for blanket stitching, and some hexagons were being hand stitched together.  I brand new quilter cut the pieces for her first quilt, and another cut pieces for a baby size quilt that she wants to try to machine quilt herself!   

We also had a visitor drop in to ask about our pillowcase sewing day, scheduled for March - she saw the information in our monthly newsletter.  Last year, my group completed 201 pillowcases in 4 hours, and we hope to do as well this year!  The Cases for Smiles coordinator will be attending, so we are looking for lots of volunteers. 

 I had another finish this week.  I was inspired by Bonnie Hunter's "spoolin' around challenge" from a couple of years ago, and I made 192 spools, using 1 1/2 inch strips from my scrap bin!  I decided to make them into blocks, and used more 1 1/2 inch strips for sashings and cornerstones.  
The two gold borders were made from cut-off backing fabric from a quilt I completed in the fall.  The middle borders were more 1 1/2 inch strips, joined together and cut to length.  The binding is also scrappy, with leftover 2 1/2 inch strips stitched together.  I kept the quilting simple, stitching in the ditch around the blocks and the spools, as the quilt was busy already.  I was able to use just over 8 yards of scraps to make this top!

3 comments:

  1. I love how colorful your spools quilt is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your spool quilt is very inspiring of what one can make with scraps and leaders and enders. Thanks for sharing, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! Leaders and Enders really do add up! I love the scrappiness of your quilt. So colorful and still coordinated.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you. Your comments are important to me.