Monday, December 21, 2015


My next project is a labour of love - a king size quilt for my younger son and his wife.  They recently moved up to a king bed, and I knew that they'd need a new quilt.  When I asked, my daughter-in-law for her input, she said that she wanted something "oceany".  I made a couple of suggestions, but then sent her to search the internet for quilts that she liked.  After a long search, she found a "storm at sea" quilt that seemed perfect.  Then when visiting a local fabric store, she found some interesting fabric.

After playing with my EQ7 software, I designed a storm at sea quilt,  that is the perfect size to include these focal squares in the centre of each block!

 These are the fabrics I chose, in dark, medium and light.  The stack on the left will be used for borders, and are also some that I picked up for the project, but will probably not use.  I only picked up 2 lights, as the focal squares take the place of the light pieces in the main blocks.
Saturday I fussy cut 81 focal squares, and then the dark and medium triangles needed for the blocks.

By Sunday afternoon, I had stitched the dark triangles to all 81 blocks, and completed 9 blocks.
Only 72 to go, then I have to work on the pieced cornerstones and sashings.  One of the extra fabrics looks like footprints on sand, and will be used, along with the remaining focal squares, in one of the borders.   This quilt should start my stash report off with a bang in the new year, although I'm not sure how long it will take to complete.....  I want to enjoy the process!!!!

Check out all the creativity shared at Judy's blog, Patchwork Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you. Your comments are important to me.