I had to prove that I'm working hard even though I'm not counting any fabric as "used".
My oriental kaleidoscope top is finally finished!
Here is one section of the top pieced. The narrow stripe fabric had to be added to each segment, pressed and trimmed before piecing the blocks.
There is a half block of green as the first border.
I added another stripe border the same width as in the quilt center. Then followed it with another plain green border.
I decided to make asymmetrical borders, so the right border has a wide strip of the original fabric. I try to include a piece of the original so viewers can enjoy the kaleidoscope puzzles in each block.
For the three remaining borders, I made blocks with an on-point kaleidoscope 4-patch in the center, alternating between a dark and a light blue background. I spaced these squares with more pieces of the original fabric.
Added another strip border.
Then continuing with the asymmetrical theme, I added a dark blue border on the top and left side, and a light blue to the bottom and right side. I mitered all the corners.
After quilting, I'll add more stripe fabric as the binding.
Another quilt that is ready to baste is my Christmas hexagon project.
I found the bright green Christmas print in a shop in Virginia, on the way south in the fall. I machine appliqued the top to the borders, using invisible (monofilament) thread and a tiny zig-zag stitch.
Since I still had leftover squares, I sat watching TV and pressed them into prairie points. These have been machine basted to each edge and will be turned to face the outside after quilting. The center of the quilt has 2343 hexagons and 264 squares to form the prairie points.
Check out what others are creating at Judy's blog.