Tuesday, May 28, 2019

A TINY SCRAP FINISH

During the winter, a former member of my southern quilting group called to ask if I would like some of her quilting scraps.  She and her husband were selling their home, and returning north permanently.  Of course, I said yes!

She loved making flannel quilts, so there were lots of various size strips and pieces in lots of different colours and prints.  There were also some cotton scraps.  I found some odd shaped triangles in gold and burgundy, along with some dark print pieces.   I decided the largest cut I could make from all the pieces, and ended up with some flying geese, squares and half square triangle pieces.  After a little playing with various arrangements, I was able to piece a small table runner.
I pieced the dark print triangles and stitched them together to make bias binding.  Amazingly, I had exactly 2 inches of binding left over after joining the ends.  I machine quilted the gold parts with gold cotton thread, and then used a variegated thread to stitch tiny flowers in all the burgundy pieces.
The shiny polyester thread makes a simple project sparkle!

I'll have to send a picture of the finished project to thank her for the gift!

1 comment:

Thank you. Your comments are important to me.