Thursday, August 30, 2018

MORE QUILTS, ETC.

I made some clothesline baskets to donate to the quilt show boutique.  I trim the selvedge edges from fabric as it is used and save it, and any 3/4 inch scrap strips for baskets, as well as crochet rag rugs.  


I sit and cover the clothesline while watching TV in the evening with DH, and then it seems to take no time to stitch the finished projects.
 I use a glue stick to help at the beginning, and also run a line of glue on the clothesline every foot or so, while I am wrapping.  I use a clothespeg to hold the wrapped end when I stop.

 Some are stitched with varigated thread in the bobbin, like this jeans weight thread in the first basket.
 The second basket has a folded cuff.  The selvedge had a rough thread edge, which can add interest.
 Some of my baskets are finished with a reverse curl.  I stop when there is still covered clothesline remaining, and begin a new coil with the end.  Then I continue stitching to the end, and reinforce the stitching on the curl.
 I find the selvedges that are white, but have a coloured edge, make interesting striped sections when used in baskets.
 Sometimes I plan the colours of the baskets, using selvedges from one project.
Other times I just use the next strip I pull from the bag!
In the past, I made a basket from a whole package of clothesline.  My grandson uses it to store his cars and assorted toys that are kept at my home, ready for his visits.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you. Your comments are important to me.