Saturday, May 16, 2020

TRYING TO FIND MY GROOVE!

I think I greatly underestimated my own well-being after being so focused on DH after his stroke.  We both had to adjust to staying at home, away from family and friends.  

During out 14 day isolation, we were both dealing with unpacking, finalizing health insurance stuff, doctor stuff,  etc.  I found it almost impossible to focus on sewing, as I couldn't even focus on getting my studio space back to normal.

As DH starting feeling more like his normal self, he became restless, and wanted to get out more.  I realized that our lives had been so different in the early years of our marriage.  He was out to work, taking courses, going away on temporary duty for weeks or months, while I was a stay-at-home Mom.  Later I did dressmaking and tailoring, and some custom drapery work from home, but my days were spent working on my own, while his were spent surrounded by people.

When he retired, it took him a year or so to get used to the new normal, and I guess that will happen again, following the covid-19 difficulties.  We both miss seeing our kids and grandchildren, but we have chosen to stay away as long as we can.  DH and I are both in the high risk category for the virus, and our grandkids are too young to understand that they can't have a hug from us!  My son works in a hospital, and has to deal with the issue of the virus every day.  He works in the locked mental health ward, and  has to deal with clients who are missing family visits, extra supplies, and unable to be accompanied outside to smoke. (2/3 of the clients are smokers)  This hospital is mostly used for outpatients, although they have opened a ward for covid-19 patients.  He also had a scare a week or so ago, when he showed up at work with a stuffy nose, (pollen related), and had reflux overnight, so his throat was sore - the screener at the hospital decided to test him for the virus, so he was sent home to wait for the results.  Fortunately, he tested negative, and was able to return to work a few days later, but he spent those day in the basement, by himself, with 2 kids who didn't understand why they couldn't have a hug from Dad, or have a bed-time story, etc.  It was difficult for the whole family.

Fortunately, after sewing some masks for us and friends, my sewing mojo has slowly returned!

 
I also started to make a version of Bonnie Hunter's Unity quilt.  I chose my colours, and gradually did more sewing each day.  My quilt top is folded loosely, so my picture is of 1/4 of the top, up to part 6.



 I also have the blocks completed for part 7, just waiting to be stitched together and added to the top.
During my spare time, I pulled out a quilt panel, that I had paired with some coordinating prints, and completed a quilt top too!
The border stripe was in my stash, and had all the colours in the panel!   I'll be adding red binding after I get this layered and quilted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you. Your comments are important to me.